Dear Bishop Miller,

Circumstances dictate that I inform you that on Sunday, February 13, 2011, I was told by Pastor Paul that I could not attend any services at Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Barrington, IL.

Recognizing the incredibly difficult place he had been put in by his senior pastor, Don Wink, I readily agreed to and did in fact leave.

But there is a horrible taste in my mouth over this matter. In particular, Pastor Don Wink had, sometime last week, come to visit to advise me that, should I attend any further services, IF I were not to remain seated, I should sit in back, so that my standing up and sitting down would not be a distraction. Check.

Also, that I was not to sing descant, melody only, thereby limiting the extent of the joyful noise that I might make unto the Lord at Atonement.

Although no one has confirmed this, I believe these incidents have arisen because of a family disagreement as to what my proper place is, or isn't, at Atonement.  When our family moved to Barrington from Streator, Illinois in 1964, we joined Atonement first thing.  I was then in 8th grade, and joined the senior choir, in which I sang all through high school.  I returned to Atonement in 1984, and my attendance was quite regular throughout the 90's.

In 1992, I believe, the last year I made close to $20,000, I contributed $1,800 in offerings to Atonment.

I have been a good and faithful servant of Atonement's, and it's members have given me great support in my various hours of trouble and turmoil.

I beseech you, sir, to investigate this matter further.  I feel as if Senior Pastor Don Wink has failed miserably in siding against me.  As the situation now stands, I cannot even go to watch my son, Adam James Ganzer drum in his Praise Team Band.

I regret having to place this burden upon you, but, for the benefit of all the Pastoral Staff at Atonement, and the members of Atonement, something needs to be done and the sooner the better.  This church has had two significant rifts.

But the only member who was ever barred from attending services was a senior pastor who was sexually abusive to his staff and church personnel, in addition to not paying his income taxes.

Whatever I have done, it in no way rises to this level of egregiousness.

Yours in Christ.  May the Holy Spirit guide you to find out the full facts, and make a wise decision in acting upon them.

Your servant,

Mark Raymond Ganzer