Total Pageviews

2012-05-24

Dedicated to the Equestirenne - My Beloved and Sainted Sister Gay Linda Ganzer Offutt


My siblings are all very cool people, who have at one time or another inspired my muse.  This is my tribute to my oldest sister, Gay Linda Ganzer-Offutt, who, I believe was practicing horse riding in her mother's womb from the moment to the moment of her entry onto planet earth.  I'd not thought too much about it, but my Grandfather Harry Ganzer, just LOVED horses (the trotters), maybe even more than he loved to go through the charts on the weeked (typically 12-16 hours of research, poring over the racing charts on the dining room table, his mother-in-law, my Grandma Lachel snorting, derisively each time she passed the table, "Einstein never spent so much time with numbers."  I had never before made the horse connection from Harry to Gay, although, I made the whittling connection from my maternal grandfather Raymond Dale Hockett to my youngest sister Marianne a LONG, LONG, time ago.  This is one of the great catharctic benefits of writing (and re-writing); taking the time to make the time to remember, to touch your words, view your words, hear your words, speak your words, and to sometimes glimmer just where your words came from, and what lessons you had missed for so long, that suddenly seem so obvious now.  Thanks, dear Lord, for giving me parents who imbued in me early the love of the writeen word.  AMEN.


You, from the moment of your conception
Deamt' only to be an equiestrienne -
Those ponies, stallions, palaminos – they were all
Pal 'o youro-ohs – ho, ho, ho, HOR-SEE HO!

And you did and do ride, ride, ride, did and do ride, ride, ride,
From the moment the first you spotted that saw horse
This is for me,” you said with glee while that horse
upon the floor, reflected magic in your eyes,
perhaps magic and something more – a calling
And you did and do ride, ride, ride, did and do ride, ride, ride,

Delighting next-door Bud and Lou-eeze Stevens too,
So long and far back in time, and yet so near and dear
to our hearts and memories, so near and dear to you,
And you did and do ride, ride, ride, did and do ride, ride, ride,

In that almost safe, not quite small, but emminently sincere
Community where you, John, and Marianne were born
and we did play each day away as best we could
In Summer, or in Shadow, you were riding, riding, riding,
you did and do ride, ride, ride, did and do ride, ride, ride,
Gliding, gliding, gliding, and oh how you so loved
When Bud Stevens would call you and Marianne over to ride
On the buggy that their beloved horse pulled aournd the
Outskirts of our fair Streator town, delighting children from
Neighborhoods far and near, oh such joy, oh my dear
What kind of sainted sinner was that man who worked
with hands always grit-dirt black, although he gloved them,
And face always smiling, so kind, so soft, so warm, so gentle,
So kind, so sharing, so caring,
And rides he gave, to every one in that town fiar,
where we all were Lower-middle class folk, just trying to make our way
While our fathers worked and our mothers stayed and made
our homes, safe, comfy, and warm happy places.
Fearing not to send us along on our way, out the front door
even before making those oh-so-huge 2,500+ calorie breakfasts
for the men folk who worked the bone hard strong back requiring jobs
which were available to any man, even boys, who wished to shoulder a load,
but, oh, the enormous breakfasts, where the workers would sit
thoughtfully sipping coffee, luxiriantly smoking a non-filtered ciagrette,
and, OH, those breakfasts, which ALWAYS taste so sinfully good:
you will eat flap jacks, biscuits, gravy, taters, bacon, sausage, and then, they were all set to go out and face another dreary factory day,
or day in the fields of harvest, or day at the office, or day teaching school
to be followed by night coaching sports, and week-ends coaching or officiating, collecting money at the gate for the sports teams events,
parking cars, anything, to bring in that extra five dollars for three hours
that stretched so mirculously far, back in the day, when a working man's pay
got a house overhead, warm blankets on bed, good food in the belly and more,
while the wife could stay home to make sure the children did not roam,
or hang with the wrong kind of kid, that the kids would not do stupid,
and then try to escape punishment playing Cupid,
no, the law was laid down: three hard smacks
on the behinds, and this was enough.

You meanwhile were all the day riding, riding your did ride, did ride,
riding you did ride; gliding riding deciding, this riding was your purpose
the reason the Good Lord put you here on earth, first, and foremost,
you would never bluff, or do anything to hurt your horse;
and your gentleness to him, and his to you, were so perfectly reflected
in the gentle way you treated all who crossed your path, even the ones
who could say the most unkind things, in the most unkind ways,
you pined not for happier days, because you could ride, could ride,
could glide, could fly, could sail beyond it all, and dream that
horsey riding, dream that horsey flying, dream that horsey riding,
ride, ride, ride, you did ride, ride, ride, you did ride.

Your voice he obeyed, always doing what you what you said,
But wordlessly too, the two of you, oh, you two, so perfectly in mind-tandem
naught would do of random, oh so disciplined you were, and how so much
did that grand horse adore you for the discipline you bore, for the discipline
was what compelled you to feed him on time, to groom him in time,
to shoe him so he need not climb nor clamber round inappropriately shod,
oh those bonds between you tied so close, that even today I can see his ghost
nuzzling up behind your honey-haired head, with the softest snort he whispers,
You loved me so well, my beloved sister, and I miss you though in
heaven here I rest. Of all the ones who loved me, you were first on that
saddle above me, riding, riding, riding, gliding, gliding, gliding, oh my fair one,
oh my wan one, oh my gentle one, oh my small one, you my master, you my fate, you to take me through the gate, and if you but have say the word I jump
so close to the heavenly, with so much love aplenty
rider and me, with but saddle between, we were one, I swear
The two of us would run, when the long day was done,
and it was time for you to return – your heart a'fire its glowing embers warming
heart on fire with the love, the desire, hope and dreamn'ere to leave
my charmed stallion's back – though the time, come it must
Your Sputnik you can always trust trust, to be loving you when you
left as much love as I returned. It was I your favored hourse,
Who let you run me on the course, and in our harmonios song,
You came along, and blossomed into woman

Love's light is reflected, love's light n'ere rejected
Love's light shown as a halo surrounding you
In the pictures the family sees it – when you were here I did feel it
Love's light reflected, resplendant, warming radiant and shining from you.
I loved you Gay Linda G – and all you are you were to me and from this
Heavenly pasture I do watch – do watch as you and Jake, that sometimes
Perilous trail partake, and I make sure the angel horse's guard your way.

You were my favorite love, and as I watch from here above,
I'm as happy apart as even when I was with you,
For although you've grown and changed, at heart you are still the same,
That eager young girl who dreamt' me in her mother's womb;
One day again we will go riding, riding, gliding, flying,
And no order will your have to give; It's enough for you to think it,
In a blink I will obey, every thought or word you say,
You own me, my love, and my love, I own you.

You, from the moment of your conception
Deamt' only to be an equiestrienne -
Those ponies, stallions, palaminos – they were all
Pal 'o youro-ohs – ho, ho, ho, HOR-SEE HO!
And forever you will ride, with that love that burns inside,
And the world's a lot better just having known you.


With Love and undying Admiration, to you
for all you are, for all you've been, and for all the new surprises
you give us again and again.

Freré Marcos

No comments:

Post a Comment